Episode: 91: Shifting the goalposts in statistics (with Kristin Sainani)
Pub date: 2019-09-02
We chat with Kristin Sainani (Stanford University) about a popular statistical method in sports medicine research (magnitude based inference), which has been banned by some journals, but continues to thrive in some pockets of scholarship. We also discuss the role of statistical inference in the current replication crisis.
Links and info
- What is magnitude based inference and how did Kristin get involved in this?
- The response to Kristin’s critiques
- This is really an issue of small sample sizes
- Kristin’s Coursera course on scientific writing
- The readability of scientific articles is decreasing
- The role of statistical inference in the replication crisis
- Kristin has changed her mind about… Twitter
- Dan made international news by posting a picture of a bird on Twitter
- Kristin recommends this paper: P values are just the tip of the iceberg as well as the following books: Radium Girls and Bad Blood
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month or more: Monthly newsletter + Access to behind-the-scenes photos & video via the Patreon app + the the warm feeling you’re supporting the show
- $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus mini episode every month (extras + the bits we couldn’t include in our regular episodes)
Episode citation and permanent link
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2019, September 2) “Shifting the goalposts in statistics (with Kristin Sainani)”, Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], Retrieved from https://osf.io/3q25f/
Special Guest: Kristin Sainani.
The podcast and artwork embedded on this page are from Dan Quintana, which is the property of its owner and not affiliated with or endorsed by Listen Notes, Inc.