Episode: 128: How do you generate new research ideas?
Pub date: 2021-03-15
Dan and James chat about how they come up with new ideas, why everyone seems to be trying to monetise their hobbies, and why it’s so hard for most labs to have a singular focus of research.
We had some problems with James’ mic so the quality of his audio wasn’t up our usual standard. To make up for this we’ve added one of our older bonus episodes at the end of this conventional episode (this begins at 54:18). These bonus episodes are typically only made available for our Professor Fancypants Patreon patrons, but now you’ll get to hear one!
Other notes and links:
- The half-serious “Highlander” bounty program from Noah Haber
- The metapsy journal
- How do we come up with new ideas?
- What James watches and listens to in his spare time
- The urge to monetise your hobby
- The “Let’s do nothing” kids book
- “How to Do Nothing” by Jenny Odell
- Robert Provine’s Laughter as a scientific problem: An adventure in sidewalk neuroscience
- The value of including many experiments in a single paper
- Is there too much reform happening in psychology?
- Clubhouse and the new twitter clone, ‘Spaces’ (still in beta)
- Bonus episode 15: The true truth of pre-registration
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month: 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you’re supporting the show
– $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2021, March 15) “128: How do you generate new research ideas?”, Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/U79NW
The podcast and artwork embedded on this page are from Dan Quintana, which is the property of its owner and not affiliated with or endorsed by Listen Notes, Inc.