Episode: 119: Rules of thumb
Pub date: 2020-11-02
Dan and James discuss how rules of thumbs in science, such as those often applied to sample sizes and effect sizes, lead to mindless research evaluation.
More info and links:
- Is there any justifcation for holding back the public posting of data becuase you’re not done with your analyses
- We have a new episode partner, Scite!
- Scite helps researchers quickly see how a research paper has been cited and if it has been supported or disputed by subsequent research
- Get a 30% discount on a 12-month Premium Scite subscription. Use the coupon code: HERTZ (offer expires January 1, 2021)
- Lake Wobegon, were all the children are above average
- The tweet from Marco Altini about his desk-rejected manuscript
- Sample size rules-of-thumb
- Effect size rules-of-thumb
- Dan’s effect size distribution paper (Here’s the preprint if you don’t have access to the paywalled version)
- We have a live episode scheduled for the 18 November (4pm CET) as part of the Munin Conference on Scholarly Publising
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month: 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you’re supporting the show
– $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, November 2) “119: Rules of thumb”, Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/UMXR7
- Scite: Scite is a new tool that helps researchers quickly see how a research paper has been cited and if it has been supported or disputed by subsequent research. Instead of just a list of titles, Scite shows you an excerpt of text from each citing article so you can easily see what each citing paper says.
As an Everything Hertz listener, you can get 30% off their premium package for 12 months, which gives you access to unlimited reports and reference checks. Use the coupon code “HERTZ” to claim this offer. This offer expires on Jan 1, 2021.Promo Code: HERTZ
The podcast and artwork embedded on this page are from Dan Quintana, which is the property of its owner and not affiliated with or endorsed by Listen Notes, Inc.