Episode: 120: How false beliefs spread in science (with Cailin O’Connor)
Pub date: 2020-11-16
Dan and James chat with Cailin O’Connor (University of California, Irvine) about the how false beliefs spread in science and remedies for this issue
Here’s what they cover:
- Why should psychologist scientists learn about the philosophy of science?
- Cailin’s new preprint on error propogation that she co-authrored
- Boyd and Richerson’s “Culture and the Evolutionary Process” book
- Episode 91 with Kristin Sainani that discussed magnitude based inference
- Christie Aschwanden on Magnitude Based Inference
- The Misinformation age, co-authored by Cailin
- Cailin’s paper on the retraction of scientific papers
- With Scite, you can be alterted whether a given paper has been retracted
- Where should you start if you’re interested in the philosophy of science?
- Science as social knowledge, by Helen Longino
- Cailin’s on Twitter and you should also check out her website
- [Dan on twitter](www.twitter.com/dsquintana)
- [James on twitter](www.twitter.com/jamesheathers)
- [Everything Hertz on twitter](www.twitter.com/hertzpodcast)
- [Everything Hertz on Facebook](www.facebook.com/everythinghertzpodcast/)
Music credits: [Lee Rosevere](freemusicarchive.org/music/Lee_Rosevere/)
Support us on Patreon and get bonus stuff!
- $1 a month: 20% discount on Everything Hertz merchandise, a monthly newsletter, access to the occasional bonus episode, and the the warm feeling you’re supporting the show
– $5 a month or more: All the stuff you get in the one dollar tier PLUS a bonus episode every month
Quintana, D.S., Heathers, J.A.J. (Hosts). (2020, November 16) “120: How false beliefs spread in science (with Cailin O’Connor”, Everything Hertz [Audio podcast], DOI: 10.17605/OSF.IO/6S8TB
Special Guest: Cailin O’Connor.
- Scite: Scite is a new tool that helps researchers quickly see how a research paper has been cited and if it has been supported or disputed by subsequent research. Instead of just a list of titles, Scite shows you an excerpt of text from each citing article so you can easily see what each citing paper says.
As an Everything Hertz listener, you can get 30% off their premium package for 12 months, which gives you access to unlimited reports and reference checks. Use the coupon code “HERTZ” to claim this offer. This offer expires on Jan 1, 2021.Promo Code: HERTZ
The podcast and artwork embedded on this page are from Dan Quintana, which is the property of its owner and not affiliated with or endorsed by Listen Notes, Inc.